Le Moulin du Clapier or “Rabbit Hutch Mill” was constructed by a wealthy French duke back in the late 15th Century. The land registry records indicate that the house was first registered back in 1632 but it is believed the house is perhaps circa 100 years older than that official record.
Originally a working corn mill for which can be found at the top of the hill at the end of the garden le Moulin du Clapier served the local community not only with flour but also local produce as the owners kept livestock and also ran a butcher’s shop.
Over the years, the house has been used as a “Relais de Poste” and also during the second world war as a field hospital for injured soldiers.
Bought by Louise and Mike in 2015 the house, gites and the barn were in a very dilapidated state of repair and gradually a project of restoration has started to bring the entire property back to life and to its former glory.
Louise and Mike are both married with two daughters Emily and Lucy and also have a chocolate Labrador called Coco who likes nothing more than to chase the rabbits in the garden. Buying the house has been a Project and also a dream to create something special from what is a truly magnificent house in a fantastic and beautiful part of France.